Updated version as at 9.00 am
The highlighted words in red are links to the news article.
March 8, 2021,
- What are the best Robinhood stocks to buy now or put on a watchlist? At the moment, Microsoft (MSFT), Walt Disney (DIS) and Starbucks (SBUX) are standout performers.
- Chinese exports surge as global demand recovers from virus. China’s exports surged 60.6% over a year earlier in the first two months of 2021, after factories reopened and global demand started to recover from the coronavirus pandemic. Exports rose to $468.9 billion, customs data showed Sunday, accelerating from December’s 18.1% gain and nearly double the growth expected by forecasters. Imports jumped 22.2% to $365.6 billion, up from December’s 6.5% increase.
- Japan Mall makes Malaysia a gateway for Japanese products to Asean market. Japan External Trade Organisation (JETRO) Kuala Lumpur managing director Mai Onozawa said the online sales platform in Malaysia could be a stepping stone to expand Japanese products to other ASEAN countries, as Malaysia has the highest e-commerce potential with its high percentage of people with smart devices.
- The Amazon-backed food delivery firm announced plans on Thursday to list in London, with a potential value of US$7 billion, making it the biggest market debut in Britain for three years. Founder and chief executive Will Shu said Deliveroo‘s customers had supported the firm’s growth and he wanted to give them the chance to share in the next stage of its journey.
- Swiss voters on Sunday (Mar 7) narrowly backed a free trade deal signed with Indonesia, opening up a vast potential market with the world’s fourth most populous country.
- Insurance companies are setting aside more funds to expand special plans related to the Covid-19 pandemic, including covering any adverse reaction from vaccination.
- Singapore SaaS startup, Stamped, to be acquired for up to US$110 million, according to a press release by WeCommerce.
- Israeli startup StoreDot‘s 5-minute battery charge aims to fire up electric cars. The innovation could eliminate the hours required to recharge an electric car.
- Yemen’s Houthi forces fired drones and missiles at the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry on Sunday, including a Saudi Aramco facility at Ras Tanura vital to petroleum exports, in what Riyadh called a failed assault on global energy security.