The highlighted words in red are links to the news article.
August 9, 2021 (last updated at 8.20 am)
- Market news: Stocks seen steady after after a better-than-expected increase in U.S. payrolls fueled taper talks.
- What to know this week: Inflation data, more corporate earnings.
- Australia’s Westpac to sell its life insurance unit to Japan’s Dai-ichi Life Holdings for US$660 million, to focus on its core businesses.
- Saudi Aramco reports a nearly 300% leap in Q2 profit beating expectations and boosted by higher oil prices and a recovery in oil demand.
- Renault and Geely may partner to develop petrol-electric hybrid vehicles for China and South Korean markets.
- ByteDance revives plans for Hong Kong IPO by early 2022.
- Mecum Auctions, one of the world’s largest collector car auction companies will have 600 vehicles crossing the auction block in Monterey.
- The US labour market makes solid gains but labour shortages poses threat to hiring.
- Younger generations are hopping onto the buy now, pay later trend to save money, buy clothing and keep up with their peers instead of using traditional credit cards.
- Duolingo language learning app no longer available on some Chinese app stores amid the country’s edtech crackdown.
- Finch Capital and MDI Ventures joint venture close first US$40-million debut fund to back 25 ASEAN tech startups.
- AirAsia’s e-wallet arm BigPay bags approximately US$100 million funding from South Korean conglomerate SK Group to boost position as challenger bank in Southeast Asia.
- SoftBank-led funding turns Indian startup Mindtickle into a unicorn.