Direct Selling Association of Malaysia (DSAM) was established in 1978 as a national trade association with the aim of promoting the direct selling industry on a national and international level, as well as acting as the industry’s de facto voice. The association works to maintain an environment conducive to the direct selling industry’s growth and stability in Malaysia.
DSAM has contributed to the industry’s professional image and a presence both a locally and globally. They working closely with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs and other government agencies and trade associations, and also a member of the World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA).
We speak to Datuk Tan Chong Guan, the President of DSAM about the direct selling industry outlook and growth and the impact of the pandemic to the industry.
Datuk Tan gives an overview of the direct selling association and its history, and talks about:
- the difference between direct selling, network marketing and multi-level marketing
- how to distinguish between the legal and illegal schemes
- how has the direct business evolved in the last 10-15 years locally as well as internationally
- the impact of the pandemic to the business and members, in terms of opportunities and challenges
- the key trends in the industry locally and globally, especially with the increased adoption of technology
- the main drivers and factors of the growth in the direct selling business
- DSAM’s outlook, foreseeable opportunities and challenges in the coming year
Guest: Datuk Tan Chong Guan, President of Direct Selling Association of Malaysia
Host: Brian Fernandez
Check out more trade conversations here.